It's been over 2 years since Google introduced a new feature for Google Assistant, Google Lens. It has been rolled out to most devices right now, while a preview version is available on Google Lens for Google Pixel (or modded ROMs/devices).
But, how will Google Lens fare with... Fan arts? Will it be able to detect who's who? Let's start.
Sonic the Hedgehog
With Google Lens being a preview on my test device, finicky results are truly expected. And since I'm a fan of it, why not try this up? And results are... quite satisfactory.
But they're official character models! But what about, fan arts?
Albeit with one funny result, Lens would usually return with a Couldn't recognize this image yet on most fan arts.
But these ones, amazed me.
Google Lens was able to link these arts to the game from which they're based from. Even to the point of providing more information when needed.
But these ones, left me wondering.
How does Google define something?
One (and many of them) matched "Sonic". Yet, they return a different result, a fast-food chain of the same name it is.
Progress is Great
Well, as one progresses, there would be steep roads along the way. I hope that these issues with Google Lens, a feature with a lot of potential, would be rectified.
Google Lens has been available to the public since mid-2019 and has been improving since it was released. I will do another run of this, using the proper Google Lens, very soon.
- ELM Go-Shogawara@Deviantart
- Copyright information:
- Sonic the Hedgehog, Shadow the Hedgehog, Silver the Hedgehog, Mephiles the Dark, Sonic and the Black Night, Sonic Generations, and Sonic Forces is a trademark/copyright of SEGA Games Co., Ltd. in the U.S. and other territories.
- Pokèmon, Ash Ketchum, Pokèmon Trainer, and Pokèmon: The Series is a trademark/copyright of The Pokèmon Company International and/or Game Freak Co., Ltd. in the U.S. and other territories.
- Mega Man, Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, and Zero is a trademark/copyright of Capcom Co., Ltd. in the U.S. and other territories.
- Kid Icarus, Paleutena, and Pit is a trademark/copyright of Nintendo Co., Ltd. in the U.S. and other territories
- BoBoiBoy is a trademark of Monsta Animation in Malaysia and other territories.